Also called: hash, blow, pot, marijuana, grass, joint, dope, hemp, herb, resin, smoke, wacky backy, weed.
How it’s used
You can smoke it with tobacco in a joint, inhale through a pipe or bong or make into a tea or food.
Herbal cannabis (grass or weed) is common and is generally made from the dried leaves and flowering parts of the female plant and looks like tightly packed dried herbs.
Skunk is a general term given to stronger forms of cannabis that contain more THC, cannabis’s active ingredient, than resin or more traditional herbal cannabis.
Resin/hash is a black/brown lump made from the resin of the plant.
• You may feel sedated, chilled out and happy
• Some people feel sick
• You may get ‘the munchies’ or feel hungry
• Your pulse rate speeds up and blood pressure goes down
• Bloodshot eyes, dry mouth
• May damage your lungs and lead to breathing problems
• Has been linked with mental health problems, such as depression and schizophrenia
• May lower sperm count and suppresses ovulation so you may have problems getting pregnant
• Regular use may affect your memory, mood, motivation and ability to learn
• May cause anxiety and paranoia
• May affect your coordination and reactions so you are more at risk of accidents, especially if you also drink alcohol
• As with tobacco, smoking hash may cause cancer
• Cannabis psychosis – when you disconnect from reality and start showing symptoms such as delusions and hallucinations even when you are not using drugs
If you are pregnant
If you smoke cannabis with tobacco while you are pregnant the risk to your baby is the same as smoking – smaller birth weight, higher risk of premature (early) birth, higher risk of miscarriage, your baby may get less oxygen through the placenta. After the birth, your baby is at more risk of cot death and early health problems, such as asthma.
You can get psychologically addicted to cannabis, in this case, you might find it hard to cope without it.
• Anxiety, irritability
• Urge or cravings to smoke
• Sleep problems, restlessness
• Loss of appetite
How long does it stay in your system?
Cannabis may show up in a urine test for 2-28 days depending on your metabolism.